Kannon-do Hall of Choraku-ji Temple
Get off the train at Kanose Station, cross Kanose Bridge and walk into Kanose Village, and Mishima Shrine, well-known in the county, comes into view. Walk onto a narrow path from there, and Kannon-do Hall of Choraku-ji Temple appears, standing quietly in the cedar trees.
According to the historical record, in 1659 Kannon-do hall was re-built on the site of a demolished nunnery called Choraku-in Temple where Chubei Ohe was a temple petitioner. This hall displays traditional Zen-style architecture that descends from Kannon-do Hall of Gotoku-ji Temple and is a valued historical hall indicating the transition of Aizu Sangen-do Hall.
The Wooden Standing Statue of Thousand-armed Kannon Bosatsu, the principal image, was probably built in the late Heian Period and its antiquated style is graceful. Together with 19 attendant statues including Enmaten, this statue is commonly known as Shitano Kannon and deeply worshipped even today.